We’re very excited to announce that The Listening Room has a new home! As of Sunday 11th May we will be running your favourite open-mic-without-a-mic from The White Horse pub on The Royal Mile. And to celebrate this momentous occasion we’ll be holding a housewarming party at our new gaff. More on that later.
Here are just a few of the things we really like about The White Horse:
- It has a beautiful small back room that will be reserved for our sole use on a Sunday evening: quiet, candle-lit and intimate.
- The toilets and main bar area are all outside, minimising noise and other disturbances.
- Great for public transport, being just off the North Bridge bus routes and minutes away from Waverley train station.
- The bar’s management is extremely keen to support The Listening Room, Sunday is usually a quiet night for them and they were actively looking for some kind of high quality music event at the point when we approached them.
- A free drink each for performers!
- Locals’ prices for regular performers.
- It’s in a part of the town that’s known and loved by Edinburgh’s acoustic performers. It’s just up the road from The Kilderkin, home to our good friends Out of the Bedroom, and also just round the corner from their birthplace, The Waverley Bar. You’ll find plenty of other venues nearby playing great acoustic music.
Why have we decided to move home after more than 12 years at The Blue Blazer? It’s been a tough decision to come to but we’re confident this is the right thing to do and the right time for us. Historically, the Blazer was a quiet place on a Sunday night, which worked well for us. Recently though, we’ve found it getting busy with afternoon drinkers - great news of course for the bar, but it’s becoming more and more of a challenge to keep the place quiet enough for a totally unplugged acoustic night.
We’re pleased to report that we’ve parted company with The Blue Blazer on very good terms; this our decision, a pragmatic one, and there is no ill will on either side. We’d like to thank Eddie and his team (and James before him) for looking after us all this time, it’s still one of our favourite pubs and we don’t plan on becoming strangers!
So, please keep Sunday 11th May clear. We really want you to join us for our housewarming celebrations - it’s going to be HUGE. Keep your eyes on our website and usual social media feeds for more info.